New laws giving victims of family violence the right to name and shame their attackers come into force in Victoria today.
Previously, victims had to get permission from the courts to tell their stories when perpetrators breached safety or intervention orders.
Police will also be able to issue family violence safety notices on the spot at any time.
Until now, victims have had to go the Magistrates Court during business hours to obtain orders.
Attorney General Robert Clark said perpetrators will no longer be able to “hide behind the laws” that were intended to protect victims.
“The law’s about empowering victims to speak out, holding perpetrators to account for their crimes,” he said.
Mr Clark attributed the new law to Carla Gagliardi, who was attacked by her partner with a sledgehammer in front of her child.
The attack left her in a coma for more than three weeks.
“This law’s a tribute to Carla Gagliardi, who was subject to horrific violence,” Mr Clark said.
“She wanted the world to know her story, to know what her perpetrator had done to hold him to account.
“Perpetrators need to get the message that violence against family members in the home is just as much a crime as violence against a stranger on the streets.”
Ms Gagliardi’s attacker was sentenced to 10 years in jail in 2012.
New laws also came into effect on Saturday increasing baseline sentencing for crimes such as one-punch deaths and murder.